Sunday, January 15, 2012

EatWalkShop (3): HONG KONG

EatWalkShop (3): HONG KONG (November 21, 2010)
“To travel is WORTH ANY COST OR SACRIFICE. I am loyal and constant in my LOVE FOR TRAVEL, as I have not always been loyal and constant in my other loves. I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless newborn baby – I just don’t care WHAT IT PUTS ME THROUGH. Because I ADORE it. Because it’s MINE. Because it looks exactly like me. It can barf all over me if it wants to – I JUST DON’T CARE.”

– Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)



Our third day of the trip was supposed to be spent in Ocean Park, but after two straight days of walking ALL DAY, our feet and bodies were too sore. We knew that to enjoy Ocean Park we needed to be bubbling with energy. Also, we knew that if we were to go to Ocean Park that meant we needed to do even more walking. So we decided to skip it and instead spend a day of relaxation and, well, even more shopping.


M A S S A G E  C H A I R S

After a fairly late breakfast, my 11-year old cousin Alicia took us to the Harbourside’s clubhouse to give us a tour. I had already gone on this “tour” a year ago, which is why I insisted we go again, if only for the free 15-minute full body massages we could get in the clubhouse’s massage room. Since we were fairly worn out from two days of walking, the massages were a great way to start the morning.


C I T Y G A T E  O U T L E T S

Scenic road to Tung Chung
From The Harbourside we boarded the MTR to Tung Chung (Fare: HKD$13.5). The 20-minute train ride was actually quite scenic and nice. We had views of hills rolling by, a surprisingly green landscape, and even the glistening ocean. It was refreshing to see after the highly-urbanized terrain we’ve been seeing for the past few days. We also passed by Sunny Bay, the interchange station for the Disneyland line. 

Citygate Outlets
Once we were at Tung Chung, we went straight to the Citygate Outlets, where we spent our last day in Hong Kong shopping our hearts out. After checking out the sports outlets (Adidas, Nike, Quiksilver), we paused for lunch at their food court. We ordered Hainanese chicken and Roast chicken, bird flu and all, and had milk tea (again!) to go with our delectable meal (Lunch: HKD$57/head).

Hainanese Chicken Rice
After lunch, we chose to divide and conquer. We were able to visit a lot more outlets, individually and as a group, and among them were Giordano (A LOT of deals here so we spent so much time in this one), Esprit, Crocs, Seven7, I.T., and MANGO. There were lots more but we had to be on our way back to make it to the 6PM mass, so we decided to call it a day.

Back in Kowloon, while I packed my luggage (I had to borrow an additional suitcase from Tita Digdig to place everything I shopped for) for my 1AM trip back home, the rest of the girls went around Elements to check out the other stores (e.g. Mac for makeup). Just a few minutes before 6PM (yes, we are buzzer beaters), we took a red cab to St. Joseph’s Church in Garden Road, just a 5-minute walk from the Peak tram terminus. It was interesting to hear Sunday mass in Hong Kong, because while it was in English, the priest had a Chinese accent and most of the people in the congregation (and even the ones collecting the offering) were Filipinos. 


T H E  P E A K

The endless escalators going up
When we arrived at The Peak Tram terminus, we were able to skip the long line outside because we had our octopus cards. Once inside, we still had to wait for a couple of minutes because there already was an existing queue of people. The Peak is one of Hong Kong’s must-see tourist destinations, so I’m not the least bit surprised. Thankfully, we were able to squeeze our way through and get good seats at the tram (the last time I was here I had to stand and tilt my body 30 degrees to prevent myself from falling). Five minutes later, we were at Victoria Peak, 1810 feet above sea level. We went up the Sky Terrace to maximize our viewing pleasure, and it wasn’t as cold as the last time, but the breeze was slightly chilly.

Hong Kong's skyscrapers at night
The Peak is probably the only place in Hong Kong I wouldn’t mind visiting over and over again. It’s also one of those “you haven’t seen Hong Kong if you haven’t been here” places, which is why Tita Digdig insisted we go here. The bird’s eye view of the skyscrapers below with the glistening lights is just one of the best views you’ll ever get of the modern world, and even if it wasn’t my first time to see it, I was still in awe. 

The Peak is the best place to propose
Apparently, romantics agree with me, because we witnessed a public proposal that was just too sweet some of us were teary-eyed. With that fantastic view and the chilly November air, this guy was down on one knee, pouring his heart out, and presenting a ring to his future fiancé, and of course she said yes. A few minutes later they were still having their “moment,” their faces a picture of unmistakable bliss, but we dared Alicia to congratulate them, and she did.




D I N N E R  A N D  D R I N K S

Good food, unique presentation :)
After taking all the pictures we could take, we went down one floor to Bubba Gump, where Tita Digdig was waiting with her margaritas. Dinner was sumptuous and flavorful, with hefty servings and unique presentations (the boat where they placed the shrimp was named “Jenny”). Tita Digdig also insisted we had drinks, as a fitting way to celebrate our last night in Hong Kong. Margaritas were ordered, stories were exchanged, and all in all it was the perfect way to end an already perfect three-day vacation. 






G O I N G  H O M E

Goodbye, Hong Kong!
The worst part in any vacation is always when it has to end. Working girls that we are, we only get to have mini-vacations, three to four-day weekends that we choose to go to against all odds, even if we have lots of work waiting back home. But I’ve always believed in this and I will continue to believe in it: IF NOT NOW, WHEN?

Travel is best enjoyed while you’re young and while you’re free – free to do the things you want to do, free to get lost in places without a care in the world, free to act slightly crazy in a place where no one knows you. Travel is also best enjoyed while both your mind and body are still willing to do it – to enjoy every agonizing minute of it – every mile walked, every train boarded, every unfamiliar sign and phrase deciphered. I've always found the experience of travel enriching and enjoyable, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

Leaving Hong Kong was bittersweet, because somehow, I didn’t want it to end. But I know I’ll be back, and I know that there will be more travels to go to and more adventures to embark on. Thank you Lord for making all this possible and for giving me the gift of wanderlust, to my parents for helping sponsor this trip, to the ever-gracious Ellis family for being such hospitable hosts, and to my friends for being such game travelers. Our feet and wallets will recover in due time, but it was all worth it.

Where to next? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment